Waxing the City is extremely excited to announce our most recent franchising efforts. As many of you already know, what makes WTC so special is our culture, extensive training programs, and focus on our employees through our employer of choice strategies. We methodically set out more than 2 years ago exploring potential franchise partners that have the same values and philosophies that could help take our brand to another level....well, after kissing a few frogs we have found our prince!
Last week, we finalized our partnership with Anytime Fitness, Inc. (AFI), one of the largest fitness franchises in the world, with corporate head quarters located in St. Paul, Minn. They currently have more than 2,000 units worldwide and have extensive experience in the franchising world. Earlier this year, they were voted the #1 Employer to Work for in the State of Minnesota! We truly feel that AFI and WTC share very similar philosophies, and we look forward to growing together. Our vision includes the formation of a new company called Waxing the City Worldwide and we will immediately start building the infrastructure to grow WTC into an international brand.
As you may recall from our November newsletter, our first new salon development is opening in the Twin Cities this December in the suburb of Woodbury, St. Paul. We are working diligently to get everything set up and ready to open within the next couple of weeks.
The Star Tribune featured a story on our collaboration with AFI co-founders, Chuck Runyon and Dave Mortensen earlier this month. You can watch their hilarious waxing video and read the interview here: Fitness guys make a smooth move.
We are thrilled to be making moves with our expansion and look forward to growing the WTC family! As we move forward in this endeavor, we will continue to share details as our partnership evolves. Here is a link to the national press release.
Thank you, as always, for your love and support!
- Robin, Marilyn, Alex, and Summer
Welcome to The Waxing Blog: Smooth Talk from Waxing the City. If you want to know more about waxing and skin care for men and women, you're in the right place. Alex Jimenez and Summer Hartshorn — two of Waxing the City's premier CEROLOGIST™ Technicians — answer your questions about waxing. There's no such thing as a dumb question. At Waxing the City, we strive to make you as comfortable online as we do at any of our four locations.
We're excited to announce our first salon in the Twin Cities! Our newest salon will be open in December and located in the suburb of Woodbury in east St. Paul. The new address for this salon is 10035 Woodbury Drive, Suite A&B, Woodbury, MN 55129.
With that being said, we can't wait to get our salon up and ready for appointments! Do you have any friends or family in the Twin Cities eager to get rid of body hair? Send us their emails and we will make sure to send them a coupon introducing them to WTC!
We're also looking to hire some fabulous estheticians or cosmetologists in the Twin Cities. If you know someone looking for a fun and rewarding place to work, please send them to our employment tab on our website.
Choosing a trustworthy salon is not only a priority for getting the best results and experience, but also for finding a safe and sanitary environment. Recently, Women’s Health came out with an article titled “Beware the Killer Bikini Wax” which highlighted some of the dangers associated with picking the wrong salon. The dangers exposed in this article are very extreme, but nonetheless, educating oneself on safe salon practices can be very beneficial. Failing to notice how well your salon matches up with some of these “best advice” tips can have you ultimately regretting your waxing experience - which at Waxing the City- is NEVER something we like to see happen.
That is why we have come up with some useful tidbits that we’ve referred to as our ‘insider secrets’ on salon best practices. All of this is standard procedure at Waxing the City. Check them out:
- First look: A clean environment is a priority and this is something you should notice right away. Look around the place, do the floors look like they need to be mopped or are the counters cluttered? You can judge a salon’s cleanliness before you even step back into a private room. Make sure the salon you are going to has proper cleaning regimens set in place, because if the front of the salon doesn't look clean, it’s likely the back rooms will not be much better. At WTC, we have daily cleaning guidelines and checklists that are followed DAILY, not weekly or monthly. This ensures we maintain a clean and welcoming environment the moment a client walks through the door.
- Licensure and Training: This is a BIG factor in picking the right salon. Depending on your state, there are different requirements for how long technicians can stay up to date with their licensing and the steps needed to renew their license. Never go to a salon that does not provide proof of salon licensing for their technicians. Colorado and Texas both require renewal every two years. Make sure the salon performing your service is up to date on their licensing before even scheduling a visit. Most of the time, you can find this information on your salon’s website. We have our own advanced WTC training center where we train all of our Cerologist technicians. Training before anyone goes on the floor is 40-50 hours of hands on experience with our trainers. We also have a continuing education program that is required of all our technicians annually. Our motto: Train the best, perform the best.
Now that you have made it past the initial front-of-the-building test, there are other important practices to make sure your salon does pre, during and post waxing session.
- Wax Type: What kind of wax is the salon using? Hard and soft wax both have their benefits and depending on what area of the body you are getting waxed will determine which wax is best for you. It’s important to make sure that the salon is using the right wax for the procedure. Waxing the City manufactures it’s own waxes (both hard & soft) to ensure the highest quality experience in the industry.
Another important part of the wax itself is to make sure it’s at the right temperature. Too hot and it could burn the skin, but if its too cool the wax will not do its job. We train our technicians to ask each client if the temperature of the wax is ok. What might feel okay to one client might be too hot for another, so it’s important your technician adjusts the temperature to suit your personal needs.
- Pre, during and Post-Wax Procedures: There are other important safety and cleanliness habits the salon should be doing while performing your wax. Did they offer you an anti-bacterial wipe to cleanse the area before they started? This is an important procedure because it helps stop the spread of bacteria pre-service. You also want to make sure that your technician is wearing disposable vinyl gloves when working on sensitive parts of the body. Disposable linens should be changed with every new client and a stick should never be double dipped into the wax and then applied to the skin. Make sure that your technician is using a new stick ever time after it touches your skin. Following these simple steps will greatly decrease your chance of infection and provide the safest wax possible.
Having a post-wax procedure is also an “insider secret” for finding the best salon. Your technician should be able to answer any post-wax questions for care and maintenance you might have. We educate our clients on pre and post care of waxing to ensure the best possible results. All new clients get a FAQ sheet to take home with them that talks about caring for your wax after you leave, and we have extra’s at the front for all other clients. If you have any questions, make sure to ask your technician before you leave the salon.
- Time: Another important aspect to pay attention to is time. Most salons should have a general time reference for how long a certain procedure will take. You should never feel rushed through your appointment- this can lead to mistakes and poor service. We set minimal service times for ALL our services so rushing does not happen. Rushing can lead to a negative client experience. Setting aside a certain time for each procedure helps to ensure the highest quality of service.
Overall, each salon will have their own procedures and regulations for safety, but it is important that you follow these basic guidelines when choosing a salon for the first time. Do your work and research the salons in you area to make sure you are not putting yourself at risk for serious infections- trust us, it’s worth it. Building relationships with your technicians can also help to make sure you are receiving the best possible care. We encourage our Cerologist technicians to build relationships with their clients to maximize their comfort levels and satisfaction. Have any other questions? Let us know in the comments and we would love to answer them!
In honor of Movember, the topic of the mustache is coming out in epic proportions! This last week, our very own Melissa (Guzman) Narro, owner of the Dallas salon, was interviewed on Good Morning Texas to talk about the infamous lady mustache. She did a great job and we’re super proud of her! You can check it out here:
WTC Winter Slogan Contest
It's that time of year again for our Waxing the City Slogan Contest! Feeling inspired? Share with us your best and most creative waxing slogans as we prepare for the upcoming winter season.
Starting right now, we are launching our search for the best waxing slogans! Post your entry on our Facebook page for a chance to win a $25 gift card.
Here are the rules:
- Post your slogan on our Facebook wall before October 31, 2012, 2012 at 5 PM MST.
- Focus your slogans around the upcoming winter season, winter holidays or anything that goes with it!
- Facebook fans will then vote on their favorite slogan, which will be turned into and advertisement and displayed as the page’s cover photo for the remainders of 2012.
- Winners will be announced the week of November 1st in our monthly newsletter and on our Facebook wall.
Need a kick-start? Check out these examples from our last contest:
“Silent night? Not if you’re waxed.”
“Whether you’re naughty or nice, we’ll make him look twice.”
“Let your loved one be smitten with your smooth kitten this holiday season.”
“As the leaves fall from the trees, make sure to wax that booty”